Friday, April 11, 2014

Seoul Searching Begins




Photo by Tina Stinson Photography

"Seoul Searching"
 
Yancy and Robbi Welch of Powell are beginning their journey to South Korea Wednesday, April 16th, flying 13 hours nonstop from San Francisco to Seoul. These 10-days of 'Seoul Searching' are the beginning of Robbi's birth family search, and her first visit to her homeland.

This amazing experience is a Christmas gift from her husband, Yancy. "What a truly thoughtful gift from him, and the best part...he will be with me sharing my journey into an unfamiliar place where my infant life began."



Robbi was adopted from Korea by the late Norm Frank and Becky (Frank) Christensen of Powell when she was one years old. She, to date, has no knowledge of her paternal parent. As a small baby she was left on the doorstep of a residential home with a note stating only her birthdate; nothing else. She was raised in Powell by Scott and Becky Christensen, and now, at the age of 39, she yearns to know more about her story.

Recently, Robbi filmed a brief piece about herself and information she knows about her infant years in South Korea. Her story aired on a Korean TV program in February of this year about missing persons (finding missing people/families). She and her husband were asked to possibly appear on their program while they are in Seoul; unfortunately three weeks ago, the TV station announced their cancellation for this specific program. "For me, this was a great opportunity for my story to be heard in South Korea. And if I could have been on the program live, it would have even given me more exposure, but I have once again ran into another closed door." Among many fun and 'searching' plans, they will also spend time at a Korean orphanage playing with children and volunteering their time. Robbi says this will be a highlight of their trip; to be able to connect with orphans who need love, care, and hugs. "Yancy better be prepared to bring 10+ babies home after we spend time at the orphanage!"  (in reality, most of the children in the orphanage are unadoptable...more information to come later).

Photo by Tina Stinson Photography

I invite you to take this amazing journey with me, and experience South Korea through my eyes. I will try to post each day giving you updates and pictures!

6 comments:

  1. Great story, Robbi. Great gift, Yancy. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you both! Safe travels today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang phone...As I said before, be safe, have an amazing trip, and I'll pray you find a bit of sunshine and peace �� and p.s. DON'T TAKE A FAIRY BOAT RIDE!!! LUV YA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time! We have such great memories of Korea. Food may look overwhelming at first, but explore and don't be afraid to try new things. Bulgogi is so greate! and as Kim mentioned, Bi Bim Bap is so tasty! I get it at Sushi restaraunts here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!! You two have a great time, I will be thinking of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete