Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Small Village Full of Kindess

Well between loosing my iPad, being locked out of almost all of my apps and websites (including this blog), and trying to adjust to the difference in time zones (day/night)...I'm finally able to sit down and write!


Yancy and I loved Seoul - we will be going back someday! The culture is amazing...it's so rich in history, beautiful scenery (past the tall buildings), and the food is wonderful! Reading a book on Korea is nothing compared to actually being there and experiencing it! The Markets in Seoul are too good to be true...tons of shopping and if you bargain just right, you've got yourself a deal!! Of course there are a few places where you will pay a higher price for things like Gucci, Coach, etc.


The night market in Seoul is something everyone needs to experience...it opens at 10 pm and closes at 4:30 am! Who wants to do some late night shopping?  :)


You are all probably really wondering what I found out while I was Seoul Searching....I found a village full of elderly Koreans who were intrigued about my story, and showed much kindness. That experience was something we did not expect to run into, but was, by far, the MOST helpful part of my journey! We learned from our 'Tour Duo' how much Koreans care, trust and value their own family as well as other families. They will take you as their 'own' (in some instances). For this, I am proud to be Korean.



We traveled to Wonju from Seoul by a 2-hour bus ride. Wonju is more of an industrial city compared to Seoul. We visited with the police station, who agreed to contact the City Hall about the address I have of where I was left at. The address I have is an old address...Korea updated their address system about 7 years ago, and only cross-referenced old with new for three years. Then they did away with the old address system. The police station later called to say they could not locate the address. Next, we visited the Community Center. They did have the person's name of where I was left, on file. They led us to the area of where she resided. We also stopped at the Senior Citizens Center to visit with the folks there -- there were only 6 people there, but they were all very kind, and wanted to help. They agreed to contact us if they find out any information. We then walked through the neighborhood where we were referred to. How interesting to see these small houses (almost like apartments); side-by-side. We did talk to a few people, but never could find the exact address the Community Center gave us. That was highly disappointing. I felt like we were SO close to finding the woman who found me....infact I know we were literally right next to her door, but just couldn't see it! We found a group of elderly people who were friendly, and really started to engage with helping us. They talked amongst themselves in Korean with much enthusiasm, and curiosity. One of them even started knocking on doors and talking to each person. It was so amazing to watch these people, who just met me, going out of their way to help me right there on the spot! After awhile, we exchanged contact information, and they sincerely agreed to contact us if they come up with any information. For their time, we offered the one gentleman who was the 'Leader', some money...he declined. So we walked to the local store and bought him sodas, water, and liquor!! He laughed in amazement at our kindness, we got a photo with him, and thanked him.


There is a possibility of not ever hearing from any of those village folks; my hopes are not high. This was the place where my eyes took their first look at life....and now my eyes see small narrow pathways leading to doorsteps of run-down tiny houses...I realize, this was once my 'home.' I can't even begin to envision what it was like in 1974/75. Yes, it was an emotional day...one I can't put into words. People ask me if this brings closure for me. I'm not sure yet, this whole journey has been worthwhile, and one I've been waiting for; time will tell when I feel full closure.


Did my birth mother leave me for a reason? Possibly yes; to give me a better life than she could provide for me. I was found at 4-months old and was very sick. I was suffering from malnutrition; skin and bones. Am I lucky to have been left? You bet...I have had a wonderful life growing up, and now, I have an amazing husband, and two beautiful children! I am lucky to be here to tell you my story. Life is fabulous for me now, and wouldn't change it for the world!


I thank my husband, Yancy, for taking me to visit my homeland, and standing next to me through my unknown journey!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great story Rob. It actually brought I tear to my eyes. The Koreans sound as amazing as you are. I admit we wouldn't want a change in your life either as we are quite fond of you, but I'm a bit sad for you that you kept being met with disappointment. I love you kind soul, caring, giving, amazing friend and sister in law!!! ��

    ReplyDelete